The Best Fundraising Page EVER!
Nov 21, 2008 by Jenny Smith
3 is the Magic Number!
Welcome to my fundraising page (right click and bookmark page now please.)
What better way to celebrate 3 solid cancer-free years than to do 3 sports (all in a row on the same day in a wetsuit, helmet, a moderate amount of spandex with a ginormous smile on my face?)
I'm training to participate in the Capital of Texas Triathlon as a member of The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society's (LLS) Team In Training. All of us on Team In Training are raising funds to help stop blood cancers from taking more lives. I am completing this event in memory of my "cancer buddy" and fellow Hokie, Matt Ortiz (pictured here,) Chris Blok and Diane Caro; and in honor of a ton of special folks- Stela Moen, Mike Slattery, Josh Currier, Andy Chevalier, Peggy Goode, Jeff Fisher and Nancy Sharkey to name a few.
We are well on our way to a cure, but there is a hitch- we need your support to get there! 75% of every donation you make goes directly to the mission of The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society, which means closer to a cure! Check out the facts below, to see how your donation will help!
- $25 - Covers the cost of one prescription co-payment.
- $40 - Covers the cost of sending a comprehensive support and informational packet to the family of a child with cancer.
- $75 - Covers the cost of one tissue typing test that is used to become a bone marrow donor.
- $100 - Helps supply laboratory researchers with supplies and materials critical to carrying out their search for cures
- $150 - Provides for 5 patients to make a First Connection with a trained peer volunteer patient/survivor.
- $200 - Provides funding for a Family Support Group Program for one year where comfort can be found and experiences can be shared among patients and family members mediated by a trained facilitator.
- $500 - Provides a patient with leukemia, lymphoma or myeloma financial aid to support medical treatment and travel to medical appointments for one year.
Please make a donation to support my participation in Team In Training and help advance LLS' mission.
If you want to donate but want a little something in return, please ask me about the Mercedes Raffle Tickets I am selling through The Leukemia Ball (you don't have to go to the ball to win!) That's right- only $100 for a chance to win one of two sassalicious cars. NOTE- if you want to buy a raffle ticket, you need to fill out an order form and payment cannot be made online.
Fundraising and Training Update #1:
Holy cow! YOU GUYS ARE AWESOME! I have officially raised $4,200 for LLS! To continue on the "3 is the Magic Number" theme, I have set my sights on raising $3,000 more! Help me get there- pass along this website to anybody you think would like to help us find a cure for blood cancers once and for all.
As far as the training updates go, I finally learned how to ride my road bike this past weekend and conquered my fear of driving on an open road! We saw Llamas, horses, cows, sheep and LOTS of spandex out at our training in Davidsonville, MD. I'm swimming like Nemo and running like I'm at an Easter Egg hunt outside the Cadbury factory... that didn't make much sense, but those two sports are going pretty well : )
Thanks for all your help and continued support!