My Fundraising Page

My Fundraising Page
Nov 23, 2009 by Tia Stevens

Racing to Save Lives



Who is Tia?


If you're asking this question, then I thank you for visiting my page without knowing me! I'm a 26-year-old doctoral student in criminal justice at the Michigan State University in East Lansing, MI. Things I love besides running include reading, knitting, and working on my house with my husband, Seth.


Why is Tia doing this?


I will be taking on this challenge for all types of cancer victims, but especially for my aunt Donna, my grandmother, and my good friend, Jennifer. Their strength and courage in the face of cancer has inspired me.


Finally, I'm doing this for the FUN OF THE RUN! I'm looking forward to the training experience, and I can't wait to traverse the streets of beautiful Cincinnati while accomplishing something big. Let's do it!


What are the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society and Team In Training?


From their website: "The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society (LLS) is the world's largest voluntary health organization dedicated to funding blood cancer research and providing education and patient services. They have invested more than $600 million in research since 1949 - over $71 million in 2008 - specifically targeting leukemia, lymphoma and myeloma. Last year alone, LLS made 6.3 million contacts with patients, caregivers and healthcare professionals."


From Tia: Team In Training is the LLS's largest fundraising program. The program works by providing athletic training to people like me, who in turn fundraise for LLS.


It's important to me that the funds I raise will lead to tangible improvements in cancer treatment, not just vaguely "contribute to a good cause." The research made possible by LLS's fundraising (including Team In Training) has led directly to dramatic improvements in the treatment of blood cancers. For example, LLS sponsored the development of a drug called Gleevec, a remarkably effective treatment for some forms of leukemia that does not involve transplant or radiation.


Where will the money I donate actually go?


Of the $1750 I'll need to raise for my race, about 25% will cover general administrative support costs and race costs (training, race registration, etc.). The remaining 75% (plus 100% of any contributions over $1750) will go directly to LLS activities. Check out the pie chart here to see how LLS allocates the funds it raises. As you can see, about three-quarters of the funds go directly to research and various patient services.


Where can I get more information?


For more information about leukemia and other blood cancers, check out some of the links at LLS's excellent disease information page.


For more information about the Team In Training program, check out their website.


For details of Tia's training, check out her blog.


Thanks for visiting, and please check back often!


0
 
 
 

My Fundraising Total

Raised: $1,839.60 | Goal: $1,750.00
 
105 %

Make a Donation


We are sorry donations are no longer being accepted for this participant for this event.

My Thanks To

Deitra Suter $250.00
Bob Stevens $100.00
Lee Thomas Films LLC $100.00
Brandon Stevens $100.00
Lynda Andersen $100.00
Tia Stevens $93.60
Cindy Tate $50.00
Sandra Stevens $50.00
Shirley Andersen $50.00
Susan Giberson $50.00
Carl & Deb Yingling $40.00
Valerie Northcutt $40.00
Tia Stevens $35.00
Tia Stevens $35.00
Edith Zeitz $30.00
Tia Stevens $26.00
Miriam Northcutt Bohmert $25.00
Judy Hoschner $25.00
Miriam Northcutt Bohmert $25.00
William Travnikar $25.00
Arijit Mukherjee Chaudhur... $25.00
Christina DeJong $25.00
Linda Bourdon $25.00
Meridian Eye Care $25.00
Paul Haller $25.00
Jason, Sherri, Maddison D... $25.00
Merry Morash $25.00
Sarah & Nicholas Rock $25.00
Sandy Wagner $25.00
Miriam Northcutt Bohmert $25.00
William Andersen $25.00
Miriam Northcutt Bohmert $25.00
Kristi Yingling $25.00
Miriam Northcutt Bohmert $25.00
Mary Scarlett $20.00
Miriam Northcutt Bohmert $20.00
Miriam Northcutt Bohmert $20.00
Tia Stevens $20.00
Miriam Northcutt Bohmert $20.00
Roneil Ackels $20.00
Miriam Northcutt Bohmert $20.00
Susan Gade $10.00
Melissa Christle $10.00